As the year comes to an end, every site starts rolling out their end of the year lists. I’ve compiled a list of the Top 7 Songs of 2010. So here they are in order:
1. I Can’t Go For That- The Bird & The Bee- Released on the album “Interpreting the Masters, Vol. 1: A Tribute To Daryl Hall & John Oates.” This song combines two of my favorite things: Inara and a funky dance beat! This is a sign of things to come for the Top Albums of 2010.
2. The Thing That’s The Hardest Is Actually The Easiest- The Shimmies- Released on “To All My Beloved Enemies.” The Shimmies are one of the best bands you’ve never heard of, until now. This song is reminiscent of Radiohead meets Simon & Garfunkel and is the lead off track to their album. It’ll leave you wanting more! Click here to hear the Shimmies on ETS!
3. Lost & Far From Home- Katie Costello- Released on the Ep “The City In Me.” Katie is one of our favorite artists on our site. She recently released her Ep, and this song has been in heavy rotation ever since! If “The City in Me” is any indication of her upcoming album “Lamplight” then it’ll be (and already is) one of the most anticipated albums of 2011! Click here to hear Katie playing this song and several others live on Enter the Shell.
4. Something About You- Cary Brothers- Released on the album “Out of Control.” This song features another ETS guest, Laura Jansen, on vocals. This is a cover song, originally done by Level 42 and it was re-worked in a way that makes it a Cary Brothers classic. The album is one of the best albums of 2010, and this song is a major reason why! Click here to listen to Cary Brothers on Enter the Shell.
5. When We Swam- Thao & The Get Down Stay Down- Released off the album “Know Better Learn Faster.” One of the funkiest tracks of 2010. This song is guaranteed to get you up off the couch and shake what your mamma gave you! Thao has been around for several years, but this song put her on another level in 2010, so 2011 looks bright for Thao! Click here to listen to “When We Swam” on Enter the Ep Vol. 3.
6. When We Were Young- Lucy Schwartz- Released off the “Parenthood TV Soundtrack.” This song was officially made available in August of 2010. Now it is hard to pick favorites, but this song is one of the best in the Lucy Schwartz catalog. Lucy did big things in 2010, and she’s looking to climb higher in 2011. I’m certain you’ll hear me write another little something before the end of the year on Ms. LuLu! Click here for our original interview, and here for her in-studio performance.
7. El Captain- The Steelwells- Released off their Ep “Shallow on the Draft.” The Steelwells were the first band to appear on the ETS show and with good reason. Shallow on the Draft was one of the best Eps in 2010. El Captain was also recognized by the Orange County Music Awards as the best song! It is also one of the best and most creative videos of the year. We look forward to hearing something new from Joey and the boys, especially some freshly baked cookies! Click here to re-live the interview!